Friday, May 16, 2014

Trust no one completely...

She got her chemo this week, even though her platelet count
was lower than last week.

I asked everyone within arm's reach "Why this week and not
last week?". Reasons given were conflicting and lame-sounding
which only succeeded in upping my frustration and anger levels
until... the oncologist's RN/PA came by, smiling and crowing
about how wonderfully well Carol is doing, then saying last week
was a "communication error". Seems the oncologist (who has not
made an appearance in weeks) forgot about the discussion that
set the acceptable platelet range (wouldn't there be notes in the
patient's file and wouldn't that info go to the chemo lab?).
My tongue is still sore from biting it to keep myself from ranting.

All I can do is be more vigilant.
If I had been there last week I might have been able to jog some
memories.

You see, Carol never argues with or questions authority. Ever.
She'll argue with me because I'm only her sister and have no 
authority. All those people who are trained to do what they do
cannot possibly ever make any kind of mistake, therefore they
should never be questioned only followed blindly like a brain-
dead lemming and when I ask questions I embarrass her.
Even when it turns out that I'm right.
When will I learn that I can't fix stupid?
Yes, I'm angry with her, too. She takes no responsibility for
herself, expecting everyone... oh, nevermind. I'm tired.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Thank God you're there. People never realize the possible incompetence of the medical profession, until they have to deal with it, and realize they might save a loved one's life.

Jean said...

Jess, I honestly believe that because of the increased need for medical professionals that the standards have been drastically lowered. That disturbs me no end.

Welcome to Pondering!

the walking man said...

I have 1 doctor I trust completely, and that only after being her patient for 15 years.

Doom said...

I trust no one 100%. My mother is as close as it gets, and it depends on the issue. Some people are reliably wrong, mind you. I don't even score 100%. I depend on other people for some things, at least as sounding boards.

Just... take a breather... You are in my prayers, as is your sister... and your patience.

Oh, I can't find an email for you. Mine is still up, using the top profile at my blog. Send me an email. Can't do much, but I have a small plan.

Anonymous said...

The movie Terms of Endearment, ranting scene came to mind while reading your post. Patience, Jean, patience!

bonnie

boneman said...

I know that doctor. He's the one that insisted he is right 98% of the time, and we don't even have to check the other 3%...