Sunday, June 15, 2014

Books keep me sane... usually...

I'm tired of only posting about cancer (she's doing well,
platelets are up, chemo continues on schedule) and since
the creative corner of my brain has shriveled to near
non-existence, I thought I'd post a list of the books I've
read since leaving Florida. I'm sure there are more than
what's listed here but what-the-hell. I'm not doing this for
a grade, just filling up space with something different.

Here goes:

Fall of Giants- Ken Follett.
Winter of the World- Ken Follett.
Winter's Tale- Mark Helprin (yuck. Gave up after 100 pages).
I'm Over All That- Shirley MacLaine.
Cronkite- Douglas Brinkley (slow. Not done).
Washington, A Life- Ron Chernow (slow. Not done).
Heaven Is for Real- Todd Burpo (so-so).
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, A Gift for Life- Dorothy Herrmann.
Dear Life- Alice Munro, short stories (yawn).
Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell  (better than the movie).
A Natural Woman- Carole King (autobio).
Stan Musial- George Vecsey.
My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business- Dick Van Dyke.
Streets of Laredo- Larry McMurtry.
Steve McQueen- Marc Eliot.
Steve Jobs- Walter Isaacson.
Eudora Welty- Suzanne Marrs.
the Time Keeper- Mitch Albom.
First Phone Call From Heaven- Mitch Albom (boring).
Philomena- Martin Sixsmith.
The Book Thief- Markus Zusak.
Flyboys- James Bradley.
On Wings of Eagles- Ken Follett.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- by
Mary Ann Shaffer and  Annie Barrows.
Honor in the Dust, Theo. Roosevelt, War in the Philippines- by
Gregg Jones.
The Goldfinch- Donna Tartt.
The Fault In Our Stars- John Green.
Zealot, the Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth- by
Reza Aslan (just started. so far, so good). 

*************
I know. You're really really glad you stopped by.

8 comments:

Doom said...

Actually, I am. Not for me, directly. Good to know you are doing something you, mostly, enjoy. I'm sort of jealous.

I used to love reading, and have had spells of it since. Just can't concentrate, though honestly and to be even handed, many books aren't, as you noticed, all that enticing. It's too bad you really can't tell a book by it's cover? :)

J Cosmo Newbery said...

It's the 'keep' bit that gives me a problem. Can books keep me sane if that is not my starting point?

Jean said...

Doom - Willing to take my chances on a few rotten apples.

JCN - and once again, I make an assumption...

Joe said...

We saw "the fault in our stars" last week. The movie was very good. I have not read the book.

the walking man said...

On Wings of Eagles- Ken Follett


that was the only one on the list i remembered.

I kow what you mean about Mitch Albom, he was much better of a writer before he got all famous and shit. He still is in Detroit but his human interest columns really kind of suck now.

Jean said...

Joe - I saw it Sunday. Liked it.
Book was more intense if you can believe that.
A book I forgot to list is "The Monuments Men". Terrific read. Movie just skimmed the surface and misrepresented too many facts.

Mark - I don't think he will do better than or even equal his first three books. He seems to be under a "born again" influence re: religion and that usually puts me off.

Doom said...

Oh, hey, never heard from you. Perhaps one of my emails is... sort of lost to me. If you emailed, try this one... doomdforev at gmail dot com. If you tried the other, I'm not sure I even get notifications since I changed phones. Urhm, sorry. If you didn't email, then this is a silly comment.

Jean said...

Doom - ah, geez. Completely forgot
:-( So sorry.

Just been so busy and now even more.
See next post coming soon.