Sunday, November 13, 2016

Let's talk about something else...

Like a good book...



I walked into a book store
this past August and saw
this book on a table all by
itself. One copy. No other 
books around it.
Something drew me to it
and I thought it might be
a great birthday present
for my friend, Jan,
in Florida. She's been a
lover of horses all her life. 

I bought it and mailed it
to Jan before her birthday.
She is thrilled with the
book, partly because, 
as it turns out, one of her
uncles was part of this mission. How cool is that?
I'd never heard of this story or the book. But, something called
me to it that day and I'm so glad it did. I bought a copy for
myself after I learned how much it meant to Jan. 







We also talked about a Disney movie made in 1963 that
we both saw and loved: Miracle of the White Stallions

It tells the same story as
the book 'A Perfect Horse'.

I was 12 when the movie
came out. I remember that
Dad loved the Lipizzans
and Mom loved Robert Taylor.
I might just buy the movie, too.

Ya know, I would've been a
much better student in history
class if things like this had been
talked about instead of just
long lists of names and dates.

7 comments:

Joe said...

I know the point of your post wasn't about history, but I have long argued that the teachers of history do everything in their power to make the subject boring. It does not have to be that way. No matter your favorite story, book, or movie, there is an actual event in history that is just as fun, just as scary, just as entertaining. Me, I remember dates. But is it really important to know a specific date if you know an event happened in a certain time period? Is the battle of Waterloo any less important if we know it took place in he early 1800s as opposed to June 18, 1815? And why not show the movie "Waterloo" instead of a boring lecture. The small inaccuracies are not relevant to the whole. We need to know what and why something happened, not the intricate minutiae that bores the average person to death. The teacher can point out the glaring mistakes that distort history and the class remains entertained while they actually learn something.

End long-winded rant.

Joe said...

Oh, and I remember seeing hat movie as a kid.

Jean said...

Joe, I would have loved you as my history teacher.

My favorite genre to read is auto/biographies. What more fascinating way to learn history than through the lives of those who were there.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

That's where good teachers come in - they can put some really nice flesh on some pretty dull bones.

Jean said...

I agree, JCN.

the walking man said...

Oddly enough I never found history as boring, not as a kid and even more so now as an adult. I love as Joe said, making the connections and tracing the lines of how this came from that. I think now, because I never saw the movie I will now have to do a bit of research to find out about The White Stallions.

Jean said...

Mark, I think the History synapses in my brain are challenged late-bloomers. When I saw the movie, at age 12, I didn't remember the importance of the story, only the beauty of the horses and their performances. Which is why, when I came across the book, the rescue mission was a complete surprise.