Thursday, May 26, 2011

a bit of bragging and a favorite memory...












The good looking hunk of youth in the photo
is my nephew, Zack. He's graduating from
high school this weekend.

He'll be heading to the University of Cincinnati
in the fall to major in computer engineering.
Zack (like his older sister) worked hard through
high school and is racking up scholarships to help
with the expenses for college. He's also planning
on grabbing summer paid internships.

My brother and sister-in-law have done a fabulous
job of raising two motivated, hard-working, talented,
fun-loving, brainy chillun. The kids actually enjoy spending
time together as a family. And, their house is always
open to their friends. They've been encouraged to love
life, accept challenges and grab for the brass ring.

Living so far away means that I've missed much in person.
But, one of my favorite memories comes from when I
visited them about fourteen years ago.
Zack would have been about four. My brother, Zack's dad,
needed to go to the local college to register for a class.
Zack and I went with him and it turned out that the
registration office was on the first floor of one of the
girls' dorms.

Zack (remember he was four) and I sat on a bench outside
the dorm and I remember it was a beautiful fall day in Ohio.
Dozens of college girls were passing by.

I noticed my little nephew paying very close attention to
the nubile females. I asked him "What do you think about
all these pretty girls, Zack?"
He looked up at me with huge, sensitive brown eyes and
the sweetest smile I've ever seen anywhere and replied,
"They're not as pretty as you, Aunt Jean."

Oh, yeah. Aunt Jean melted.
Right there. Right then.
And declared his future very bright.

I have no idea if he remembers that moment or, indeed,
any part of my visit that year. But, me? It still brings
tears to my eyes and makes my heart swell.

I love you, Zachary, and I wish you all the best, all the good
and all the joy that your heart can hold.

16 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Obviously he's a man of impeccable insight.

This was such a sweet tribute and you were sweet to share it with us!

Jean said...

This kid is da bomb. His sister graduates college in December, so I'll post something for her then.
She's on her way to rocking the world.

Anonymous said...

:-)

Rae Rae said...

What a sweet memory.

I see good looks run in the family too.

the walking man said...

Sounds to me like that brilliant four year old was looking for an ice cream scholarship all those years ago.

Doom said...

Odd how the little gifts life offers can be far more valuable than gold. Actually, if you all had lots of gold would you have ever had the time to be in that place? Such a pleasant tale with a mid-level conclusion as well. It will be interesting to hear the rest in 4 years (he doesn't seem like a 5 year engineer, though things outside of college can interfere too).

Jean said...

Cactus Mark d;-)

aw, thanks Rae Rae.

Mark... Bwahahahahah!!

Doom, it's true, the little gifts are really huge. I was there a month after Michael died for some healing time. And, actually, I think the program at U of Cin is five years. He's also seriously thinking ROTC (which scares me a bit).

boneman said...

Reckon you can't dispute it, then, since blood kin agrees with me.
You are the cutest thing this side of the Mississippi.

Jean said...

thanks, honey.

♫NWM♫ said...

East of the Rockies.....

Jean said...

awwwwwww...

kdzu said...

North of the Panama Canal.

Jean said...

ok, now I'm beyond blushing! heh.

♫NWM♫ said...

South of the North Pole....

KeesKennis said...

That story is so sweet

Jean said...

KeesKennis! good to see you again.