Friday, February 10, 2006

Beautiful view............

One of the most beautiful places I have ever been........ Beauvoir....... the last home of Jefferson Davis........ was almost completely destroyed by Hurricane Katrina last year. I viewed the web site today.......... brought to tears by the photos showing the devastation......... comparing the before and after. This beautiful landmark was one of the last good memories I have of Michael and I together..... and I am glad I can remember this good time with him. I am able now....... after more than eight years since his suicide...... to thank him for this and many other memories. I can credit him...... because of his love of southern history..... for showing me and helping me learn much that I might have never experienced otherwise. Together, we explored much of Florida and parts of the South....... not the usual tourist spots, but the small towns ..........small museums........places not advertised on billboards along the interstates......... Of course, Beauvoir is famous and was advertised.......... but, we didn't visit it just as tourists........ we explored it and fell in love with it because we lived in the South......... members of this special community that is part of the entire history of our country. I especially remember walking through the museum at Beauvoir.......... turning a corner..... and seeing a most beautiful quilt hanging on the wall in a display case........ Immediately, tears began to run down my face......... reading that this quilt had been given to a family member serving in the Confederate Army........ something to comfort and protect him........ remind him that he was loved and missed. The quilt had survived the war......... and obviously beyond......... but the soldier had been killed in battle. Having studied quilt making and its history in this country....... I could not help but be deeply touched by the amount of work...... time.... detail....... and love.......... required to create something so beautiful and precious. Knowing that there was very little that could be provided to the soldiers.... on either side..... that could do much to ease their hardships, seemed to grab my heart. Months and sometimes years with no communication......... very little news other than word of mouth........ occasional postings in town........ agonizingly few and far between. This old southern home........ then museum....... represents so much of the life struggles and sacrifices of the time. Compare that time to present day and any of us should be in awe of human strength....... ingenuity........ character. So, this is something Michael has left me with...... a little knowledge and much appreciation for life as it was......... and, as it turns out now......... appreciation for my life as it is......... in part, because of him. I can finally say thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean..............visited the website for Beauvoir......and read your blog..........what a sweet memory of Michael.......Becky

Jean said...

Thank you, girlfriend.