The second series of chemo-cocktails is going well.
It's been suspended, however, because of the staph
infection in the tissue around the port.
They administered chemo treatment #2 in chemo series #2
this past Friday and then sent her to radiology to have the
port removed from her arm. Rx antibiotics for ten days.
We went back to the cancer center yesterday so she
could get the follow-up shot that's given after every treatment
(helps keep white blood cell count where it should be).
I told the nurse the port incision was still draining bloody
pus and the area around it is flaming red and hard.
That's when we found out the lab report from the culture
named the infection as staph. Apparently no one read the report.
So, the oncologist ordered a massive dose of antibiotics to be
administered by IV and was to be monitored for an hour.
Initial Rx (keflex) to be continued 4x day at home.
Stitches are to be removed this Friday and she has a
follow-up visit with the oncologist next Monday. If the infection
is gone they will schedule when to put in a new port,
wait for that to heal, and get back to more chemo.
It's been a reminder that everyone involved is human/not perfect.