Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Please don't let this be another summer of fires like 1998...









It was 99 degrees today with 80% humidity, and we
never saw the sun. It was masked by the smoke from
the fires in the area.

Arizona is much worse but, it looks like we may be
playing catch-up pretty soon.

Our summer of 1998 was the worst. The entire state
was on fire.
I had to evacuate my house with four
cats and a dog. The flames got within four blocks.
When I got home again, the roof and the yard were
covered in ashes. We had firefighters from every state
plus Mexico and Canada helping with control efforts.
Bless them all.







The fires this year actually started in Feb./March.
Rain has been almost non-existent and when there is
any, it usually brings lightning which starts more fires.
Today they evacuated some homes in an area no more
than five miles from me and another area about ten
miles away. Last count was 48 fires in this county and
nearly two dozen in the county north of here.
Plus hundreds of others scattered throughout the state.
Yesterday, governor what's-his-name declared a state
of emergency because of the increase in the fires.

I booked a room at the beach for this weekend... before
this got so bad. Oh, well. They have cable. At least I can
keep up on the news.

5 comments:

Rae Rae said...

Wish I could send you some rain girlfriend.

Stay safe, and try 'n enjoy that room at the beach! Sounds nice.

boneman said...

I knew you should have quit smoking...

Jean said...

Rae Rae, we got about an hour of good rain this morning, so, thanks!
I'm looking forward to the weekend at the beach. Hope to get a bunch of photos and some good seafood.

Hey, Boneman...I didn't start the fires!
d;-)

Doom said...

I think I remember something about you and fire, several times? I guess I never realized Florida was ever such a tinderbox. This year is a bit funky though, all over. Just stay safe. For the first time in a decade or two, our wells are full and the Great Salt Lake has gained four feet (that is a LOT of added water). Wish I could send you some of our higher level snow melt, which in some places hasn't really started. Ugh.

Jean said...

Doom, Florida has been in a drought for about two decades. We are always on high fire alert. We just keep hoping that it gets no worse. Pretty sad, that. The worst was 1998.