Friday, January 18, 2013

Mrs. Dull's teacakes...
















She needed a way to support her family.
Read her story here.

Many years ago, my then mother-in-law loaned me
her copy of this book. I hated to give it back and 
have been hoping to find a copy for myself.

You may not think of describing a cook book as charming but,
this one is absolutely that and more.
Her teacake recipe is a genteel way of making scrumptious
cookies. But she also tells you how to barbeque a rabbit.
Or prepare possum.




 







7 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Would you like a possum? Or two? Or three?

I deliver...

LL said...

Wow, I never thought I'd see pull off hair and scrape well and cut off ear and remove eyes in a recipe....

Doom said...

So, do you have the cook book yet, or still need it?

I might have to think about this book too. While I am half decent at Italian, Mexican, standard American, some India types, and a few other types and techniques of cooking, about Southern Cooking... I know nothing. I've always wanted to know, it's just... not common enough, especially in liberal enclaves or typical small towns.

Let me know if you still need the book.

Jean said...

J Cosmo, if you're part of the delivery then, absolutely!

LL, I know! But, the first publication was 1928 so I guess more common then.

The book really is wonderful, Doom. I haven't ordered it yet but will soon. (My own fried chicken kicks some butt.)

Unknown said...

http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Cooking-S-R-Dull/dp/0820328537

og said...

I have come close to accidentally eating possum once. I won't touch a possum nor an armadillo, they are God's creatures but they are also God's filthiest creatures. Not too happy about raccoon either, though I would probably eat a groundhog.

Jean said...

Thanks, Richard. That's the link in my post. :-)

None of those sound even remotely tempting to me, Og.